A2Z: Parenting Ki Kahani Hindi Gaanon Ke Zubani (A)

Just now the relevance of doing a theme reveal, revealed itself to me. But such is life and so am I. Everything in retrospect.

So without much ado and coming back to the present here is something of revelation about my chosen theme. I am a big Bollywood fan. Music has played a big role in my life, at times as an accompaniment to joyous moments and at others as the background score to disastrous decisions and bad moods. I can always hear it playing. If you ask my friends I have always had a song for the moment we are in. And so using that super ability, I am going to attempt 26 posts. 

Lekin, picture abhi baki hai dost! Music is set but what about the script? The screenplay, if I may, is the parenting years with their ups and downs, the tears, sweat and blood I shed and hugs, kisses and laughter that I gained.

-------------------------
A.

आगे भी जाने न तू, पीछे भी जाने न तू 
जो भी है बस यही एक पल है 

I have been a mother for 12 years now. With my two children, a girl of 12 and a boy of 5 years of age, I have been often told how fortunate I am in getting a taste of bringing up both the genders. But what these people do not probably know is that though I might be considered fortunate, I have just about no idea of what I am doing. Hence, the choice of the song.




After years of struggling to perfect my 'P' game, I have realised the truth in the second line of the verse. I haven't yet met anyone, a parent of any age, who has any idea about the game rules we all seem to be playing. What the many I consider as my gurus, do realise, is that it is the moment that matters. What you do in the present moment with your child- how you look at them, how you speak to them and how you make them feel, among other things- in the present moment is all that matters. 

The P game, unlike other games people play, is not one that gets over within a few years. It is a lifelong thing and yet what matters the most is the present moment. A very catch me if you can kind of logic, riht?! Children, you see are very generous. They forgive (and I hope forget) what you did not know. They are willing to give you a chance to redeem yourself at every next opportunity, every next moment.

And so my friends, take this from a mother who has been at it for sometime now, 

आगे भी जाने न तू, पीछे भी जाने न तू 
जो भी है बस यही एक पल है 




Comments

Navita Bhatia said…
I liked your straight and simple attitude towards parenting. Yes, I agree, the present moment only matters. :)
Simrit Bedi said…
Wow. What a wonderful theme.. loved this post.looking forward to reading all your posts
Esha said…
LOL....so very true....loved the bollywood twist
amu said…
Thank you Navita, glad that it resonated well with you.
amu said…
Thanks Simrit, I hope you have read a few more and enjoyed them.
amu said…
Thanks Esha, Bollywood is bae. Always and forever.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different