This Pujo, things feel different

Yesterday was Mahalaya. I have been living in Kolkata for about 7 years now and have been in the city for every single Pujo since we moved in here.
 I just like the vibe of the city, the aura of this place when it is time for the Devi to descend to her parental home from the heavens above. It is a different air that the city breathes in and out. It is different colour, sometimes sharp and sometime languid in its shade that dresses the city of Kolkata when the Durga Pujo approaches. Like a veteran of sorts I know this isn't the best time to be on the roads. I know better than to plan anything because beside eateries everything is going to come to a stand still. Nothing will move and no-one will budge their stomachs filled with Biryanis, Aalooer Dums, Jalepis and Chicken Kashas.

But this year things have been different. it seems as if the Pujo has just crept quietly upon us. It seems as if Maa did not come down with the usual fervour. Maybe there is a reluctance in the air that I sense. Things aren't boisterous. The general feeling that all is good with the world that permeates the air at least a month before the Pujo, is not there.

The weather is also playing truant. It rains and everything wears a forlorn look.

It seems that the Devi has come on tip toes, disenchanted with her favourite race and its doings and well, wants to return back with her children, safely without raising commotion that is the hallmark of this festival.

Yesterday I read the news of two children, aged 8 and12, being murdered for defecating in the open. Maybe she did too.


Comments

Anita said…
am sure it’s nothing beyond the extended rainy season,that appears to b dampening the spirits
Anita said…
am sure it’s nothing beyond the extended rainy season,that appears to b dampening the spirits
Princy Khurana said…
I hope the gloomy mood, quickly changes into pomp and show.
#princyreads
#myfriendalexa
awesome post , very real, I could relate with it
sweta said…
Yeah. It's the same here too. The weather has been really trying. I just wish it clears for pandal hopping. Nice post. Thanks for sharing. #MyFriendAlexa #CloudandSunshineReads
Manisha said…
Manisha - I hope the festive fervor is not dampened by the rains and people the best time.
Paresh Godhwani said…
Yes, this navratri is very different. Here it is stormy rain filling the ground water of the city. We have destroyed the nature. Now nature is giving us back.
Preetjyot said…
I would love it if the rainy season extends here. Just that I wish nothing and no one is harmed.
Dishki said…
I hope that the festive fervor returns and the city breathes again carefree.
bushra said…
Hope you have great durga Puja. That’s an intriguing read, Loved the post and your unique writing style.
#dewreads #myfriendalexa
amu said…
Hope so Mommy!
amu said…
Princy fingers crossed for the same!
amu said…
Happy to know that it resonated with you Arti!
amu said…
Sweta, hope so too. My little one is looking forward to pandal hopping this year.
amu said…
Hope so too Manisha.
amu said…
Yes Paresh and it scares me. I hope we can remedy the situation before it gets out of hand.
amu said…
Preetjyot Amen to that!
amu said…
Thanks Dishki, I hope and pray for the same.
amu said…
Thank you Dr Bushra. I am so happy to hear the praise for my writing voice. Thanks for stopping by and dropping the comment.
Anonymous said…
Thankѕ very nice blog!

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers