Book Review: Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs #1)

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear is a historical mystery novel set in London. But don't just head out and get it if you prefer your mysteries or crimes a bit on the stronger, harder, more depraved side. This novel is set after the World War 1 and is a peek into the realities and harshness of a war. Maisie Dobbs starts as a househelpat the Belgravia Mansion which belongs to the Comptons. But thats not where the book starts.
The book opens in the year 1929, with Maisie setting up her detective agency and a man approaching her to investigate if his wife is having an affair. Soon after solving the crime, the book takes us back to the beginnings of Dobbs as a private investigator. We learn about her dexterity at the Belgravia mansion and how the lady of the house Mrs Compton and her friend Maurie Blanche, discover her to be an intelligent girl and decide to mentor her. She goes as far as getting admission in the university but the war breaks out and she enlists as a nurse. Sent to France, she finds there some friends and a sweetheart. What happens to her sweetheart and why she is now alone remain mystery almost till the end of this intertwined saga of Dobbs the person and the case, (remember there was a case she had solved but it wasn't as simple as it looked on the surface, and it reeled her in because she could sense there was more to it- that case).

The book is slow and is most definitely not a pacy thriller or crime fiction. It takes its time to develop, Every now and then Maurice's wise words surface in Maisie's mind as she talks to people who come and go in the book. The old world English in which some conversations take place is also a cold shower if you are far removed from that kind of language and context (read if you are a millennial).

So, the book really didn't work for me. I thinkI had to be really strict and disciplined in order to finish and not start anything else. It demands patience and a very different kind of love to read at least the first Maisie Dobbs. A lot of history, some mystery and some psychology comprise this book. I had found it in a library and wouldn't want you to spend money on it to buy and read it.

I am taking my blog to the next level with @Blogchatter's activity #MyFriendAlexa.

Comments

Rashi Roy said…
That's an interesting review. Very well written.
Trapti said…
You explained so well. This compels me to buy this book. I will read soon.
Well written review
amu said…
Thank you Trapti. I am happy to know that you found this that good.

Thank you so much for the kind words Rashi.
amu said…
Thanks for the kind words Pooja.
Vartika said…
Not a fan of historic thrillers so might pass this one, however a very well written book review. #myfriendalexa #vartikasdiaryreading
Anonymous said…
Hеllօ outstanding Ьl᧐g! Does running ɑ blog
suсh as this require a massive amount work?
I've absolutely no eⲭpertise in codіng however
I had been hoping to start mʏ own blg soon. Anyԝays,if
you have anyy іdeas or techniques for neᴡ blog ownerѕ plkease share.
I understand this is off topic but I just wanted to asқ.
Appreciate it!
Sushmita said…
Okay, so the old world English caught my attention. However, I am not a fan of slow books. I keep on pacing to other books! Thanks for sharing this book review.
Well written review, any peep out into the history attracts me ,would love to read this very soon.
Ninu Nair said…
I do not like historical thrillers per se and had never really heard of Dobbs books. And, with your review, surely will pick it up someday if I find it in any library. I may not have your level of patience. Nice post!
Vidhya Thakkar said…
another wonderful review! loved it!
Srishti said…
Wonderful review. Very well written. Can't wait to read this.
Thank you for your detailed review I will check this book out
#myfriendalexa #tmmreads
Sonia Dogra said…
I usually like historical fiction. But I also like your forthright review. I wouldn't mind picking this up, but from a library of course!
Aanandika said…
Great Sonia Dogra! I hope you like it better than I did.
Aanandika said…
Good to hear that Sindhu Vinod!
Aanandika said…
Great to know that Srishti. I hope you enjoy it.
Aanandika said…
Thank you Vidhya!
Aanandika said…
Hahahhaha Ninu . yes this book called for patience as the story developed. Thanks for reading the post.
Aanandika said…
Thanks Archana. I hope you get to enjoy it sometime soon.
Aanandika said…
High five Sushmita! I also am a big fan of pacy and racy books that is why thrillers are my genre.
Aanandika said…
Thanks Vartika for reading this!
Vidhi said…
Very nice review. Loved your post.
Anwesha said…
I loved your review! I will surely pick this up next. ~Anwesha
Aanandika said…
Thank you Anwesha. Hope you get to enjoy it soon!
Neha said…
Thanks for sharing this with me, I am going to check out this one
MeenalSonal said…
I like to read books set after world war to get a glimpse of their thoughts and actions. Thanks for your review.
amu said…
Wonderful Neha! I hope you get to enjoy this sometime soon.
amu said…
You are welcome Meenal. I am also interested in history. I hope you can read this book some time soon.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different