Book Review: The Surgeon by Tess Gerristen ( Jane Rizzoli #1)

Read this medical thriller for a superbly knit plot, leave it aside if you can't deal with gory descriptions.

------------------------------------


I have not been so scared after reading a thriller as I have been after reading The Surgeon byTess Gerristen. It had a very deep impact on me and It is I guess a good one month after I read it that I could bring myself to write a not so long review of this medical mystery where Detective inspector Jane Rizzoli makes her first appearance.

The Surgeon begins with the story of a successful doctor Catherine Cordell handling an emergency wherein an old man who has met with an accident is brought in a critical condition. Next we are told that she had escaped a murder attempt by a former student in a different city two years back and had shot her assailant dead.

A new set of murders comes to light and Detective Thomas Moore realises that the MO of these murders have something in common with the attack on Cordell. The police is befuddled whether they are dealing with a copycat or the Cordell's assailant has risen from the dead. Jane Rizzoli is a side character at the beginning, a female cop trying to fight it out in the man's world but her character develops wonderfully over the pages of the book.

The book is gory to say the least. The descriptions of the murders and the ER will not let go of you for days together. The best thing about this novel is that it is so gripping because it never sags. There never is a dull moment, like they say, though I do admit skipping some pages portraying the happenings at the hospital's Emergency Room.


You might have heard of the very famous TV series based on the two characters in these books- Rizzoli and Isles. I did too after coming across the series on Amazon Prime by chance. I watched the first episode of the first season to get my bearings but after reading the book realised that it was based on the second book, and Maura Isles isn't even part of this book.

Wait then, does it mean that I should read the next book to consider it to be the first Rizzoli and Isles mystery? Hmm...

Images courtesy Internet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different