A2Z Challenge: N is for Nani teri morni ko

नानी तेरी मोरनी  को मोर ले गए
बाकी जो बचा था काले चोर ले गए

(O grandmother your peahen has been carried away by the peacocks and whatever was left has been taken by the thieves)

You must have heard the saying that it takes a village to raise a child. If you are bringing up a child/ren you will know exactly what this means but if you don't have children of your own yet take my word for it. Raising a child can't be done single handedly by anyone. You need emotional and physical support, you need advice, you need a sounding board and most importantly sometime you just need someone else to take charge.

Grandparents play a huge role in our Indian homes in helping raise a child. Whether it is teaching them values and morals via stories, or enforce good habits, they have extremely important roles to play. My children have been very lucky to have a set of doting grandparents on both the sides. On 
the paternal side my mother-in-law is always ready with her bag of exciting stories and father-in-law ensures treats like the much loved aam-papad and the lip smacking mango pickle which my daughter loves, is always at hand.

My own parents love taking my kids outdoors to see the wonders of nature and the charms of village life. My father who is fond of the woods doesn't mind driving them to nearby locales for seeing something amazing like a cow being milked. We once travelled on a very narrow trail to reach a high point in the hills from where our entire hometown was visible like a bird's eye view if I may. What a thrill it was!

My mom on the other hand has been my constant strength and support. She has taken over or rather I have often dumped my kids on her when I felt that I can do it no longer. Most of the time it has been about studies and we have judiciously used WhatsApp video calling during exams for constant revisions and learning some answers for the first time.  Having been a teacher and a mother longer than I have been she understands all things kiddie better than me, I would say. She has solved question papers, clicked pictures and sent me to help save time during this pandemic when I am flooded with school work, projects and daily assignments for both my kids beyond the household duties. I barely ever call her for chit chat and she also mostly never expects me to, knowing well that my hands are full. My mother has also never shied from calling a spade a spade and though I might not always like her for that I am thankful that she does it because it keeps me grounded.

I am so thankful that these four people who are wonderful in their own way have been contributing factors into the lives of my children. I couldn't have done any of it without them.

Comments

Monika Suri said…
Nani Dadi Nanu Dadu play a major role in the life of children . They learn many skills from them - loving , helping , team work , stories ...and what not ...
amu said…
Yes absolutely. Nothing can compensate for their presence in a child's life.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different