Book Review: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides


A fast paced thriller that is going to make your week or weekend (depending on the choice of the day you pick it up on)!

So, it is well established by now that I am a thriller's fan. I have also managed to ascertain that sometimes it is destiny which leads me to read some books.

This past month has been quite a thing for me. First, both my kids fell ill, taking turns at keeping me on my toes 24X7 and then a day before Diwali my husband came down with an infection which looked like a common cold but ended up being as troublesome as Pneumonia.

So there I was before and through this, going from book to book and singing 'Kahin lagta nahi dil, main kya karoon'. Let me explain- I had started no less than 5 books from varying genres and wasn't feeling happy or satisfied (if you know what I mean then a virtual high-five) with any one of them. And, I had also started to spend more time than was usual on social media (hospital waiting rooms do that to you, no?) Well, wherever I turned on the social media I would literally bump into The Silent Patient and then I had had enough.I have now become apt at recognising signs (BIG believer) and did not waste any time in downloading the ebook and boy oh boy, this was a super ride.

When I started it last Saturday I has managed up to page number 74 with kids demanding my attention, then food, refreshments and permission to go out et al but when I finally got up on Sunday morning to go back to bed, I was on page number 203. The book is 293 pages long or short depending on your perspective.

Well, that is saying a lot about the power of book isn't it? I should stop writing this review right here but if you have stayed with me till now then I owe you a paisa vasool review (like this one).

So, The Silent Patient is the story of an artist Alicia Brandon who has murdered her husband, created just one painting in her defence and then gone mum. A psychotherapist Theo Faber is very interested in the mystery of this woman who hasn't spoken in the last 6 years and he takes upon himself to help her come out of her silence.

Theo is so interested that he quits his job to find work at the psychotherapy unit where Alicia is kept since judgment was passed on her case. We meet the rest of the cast of the novel here at the centre which includes Professor Diomedes, (who heads the centre and was pivotal to Alicia's trial), Stephanie, Yuri and Dr Christian. We also get Theo's backstory which isn't a very happy one and are also told of events that are taking place in his present. Also presented to the reader are select entries from a diary that Alicia used to maintain.

Now the genius of this work of fiction lies in the moment when these things all come together to
make a loud bang and the climax of the tale. The writing is powerful and nothing seems to be a waste of time and space- not a character, nor a word. As soon as you see the end approaches, know that that wouldn't be the end. Mr Michaelides manages to take you deep into the worlds of Alicia, Theo and the Centre and you do fall for it hook, line and sinker (ya, I just wanted to use the phrase). I was completely bowled and though that what a spin, the story seemed to have done a 360 degree turn.

I do hope you read the book and tell me how you found it! I would suggest leaving the members of the family who depend on you with a ration supply for a day or two while you find out whether The Silent Patient speaks (to you) or not!


Comments

Nimisha said…
Fabulous review writing aanandika!!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different