Full Blast

Yesterday night the real meaning of the phrase generation gap dawned on me.
For the first time ever I accompanied Sachin to one of his bank meets. It had been organised in a disco and I did not know that. Now the prospect of an outing, that too in a disco should have sounded purrrffeeeeeeeeecccccct to me because the tv had broken down and all the guests who had been staying with us for quite some time now had left. The house would be unusually quite. So you would think that an evening out would have been a good change.
But it happened so that I had a very usual day at work and was very hungry. All I wanted to do was go to an empty house make a basic dal-chawal kind of meal and play Ludo afterwards. The only good thing was that I would not have to cook and so I agreed to going with Sachin.
When we reached the place we were guided to a disco. DISCO!! I should have been happy about the music and the lights and the works but it just managed to put me off in a big way and that is when I realised that I had become old. I yearned so much to go home. Had I been my young self, I would have lovvvvved the idea of being out of doors till wee hours.
I did not like the music that the DJ had put and honestly in the first fifteen minutes I had rated the food mediocre, the music bad and the service low grade.
I could see the boys and girls moving to the beat of the console and the party spirit getting high and high while I was getting more and more irritated with the loud sounds and bright lights being dimmed and then turned on again.
I realised that when I will have grown up children they will like the music loud, may be louder, and I won't be able to stand that. I realised that there might be a time when I am unable to convinve myself to like the disco ball throwing off light and the dhaddam-dhadddm of a music system. That would be what my children will refer to as the generation gap and though I understand it now, I wondered whether or not zi will remember it then, and not yell at them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different