Thoughts on your departure

Dear Sub

I googled the distance from New Delhi to Columbus and I am told it is:

7562.9 Miles or 12171.3 Kilometers / 6567.6 Nautical Miles

Approximate flight duration time from New Delhi to Columbus is 15 hrs, 42 mins but I know you have a longer flight. You must have been on a plane for more than half the time, as I sit down to write this. Initially I had wanted to write about how I felt about your leaving yesterday night but then thought that maybe I was too overwhelmed to do it straight away.

I got up unusually early with the task on my mind but I spent my those early morning hours doing routine stuff. Then when Netra was out of the house in the evening, the usual time, we would have a chat, I again sat down with my laptop and I googled.

Yet again something came up and I had to rush away. All in all it is almost exactly a day after you have left that I am putting how I feel about your going away down.

First of all, and I should have told you this before you left, I am so proud of you that I think when you graduate I am going to feel as if it is my own achievement.I am so proud of you for going with your own conviction and not listening to anyone else. Many people we know and maybe us- a couple of radical ones- in the family would not have done what you have done- followed your heart.

I know the journey is long and a difficult one. I also know something about our genetic make-up, our never say die spirit and I have full faith in the fact that you will be invincible now onwards.

You called me just now to say that you have touched down in NewYork and the excitement in your voice was so palpable.I kept asking you in every conversation yesterday about how you felt and you would say not a thing. I kind of knew what you meant because even I did not feel anything till the time you had almost sent a text from Brussels. Maybe years of living in different cities has brought this kind of resilience.

That, however, does not undermine the velocity with which I have been missing you since the evening. Anyway, I will miss you even if you were in an apartment next to mine, knowing fully well that within 15 minutes of coming in close contact we would get one each other's nerves.



My attempts at lecturing you, being the big sister, were squashed last night by you and my dear husband and so this is also about a few tit-bits that I would like to keep in your head always.

1. We love you. When I say 'we' I mean anyone and everyone who has come in touch with you and has survived the impact. Many of us are not good at expressing that love, but it is there. Close your eyes and feel it whenever you feel lonely in Pardes.

2. We are extremely proud of you, especially me. The lazy bum that I am, I would have been dithered by the prospect of filling zillion application forms and writing down those many essays. But I saw you at it and even if you would not have made it to any place I would have been very proud of your determination.

3. Forrest Gump's mum would tell him, Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you gonna get.(I can hear Tom Hanks right now)Life is going to offer a great variety, I am sure, please keep your head about while choosing a piece of chocolate. Also remember that you have every right to change your mind, if you don't like the taste of one that you choose. Be extremely choosy about whom you share your time with and experiences you gather.

4. We will be constantly worrying about you but don't let that faze you. Go embrace life and all that it offers you (keeping in mind point number 3, of course)Maybe we will learn not to, but that has a slim chance of happening.

There is a lot more that I would like to add to this list but you have given ample proof that you are a sensible young girl. So instead I will go, sleep and dream about your graduation.

Comments

Unknown said…
mom feels almost the same but there are more 'be cautious'and 'be yourself'in the text......
ashvinmil said…
yes ,dear Sabiha.....we all are very happy for you and wish you all the best ....keep your self grounded ,and never lose sight of the big picture...but most of all...enjoy the journey....!
ankita said…
Completely agree on the so proud of you to follow your heart part..Am sure you are going to have a rocking time there and forget all about hyderabad and its streets..Stay happy, stay safe. Miss you loads!!
Goofy said…
Thank you sooo very much everybody, I just hope to keep moving forward :)
Anonymous said…
amu, overwhelming thoughts...all the best subbu... :) go rock...

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different