Book Review: Rage Against The Minivan by Kristen Howerton

A smart, funny and insightful book- Rage against the Minivan is this and more.

I am a mother of two and was looking for people like me- whose homes are a mess and their lives even messier, filled with immense love and guilt thanks to their kids- when I came across Kristen Howerton's account on Instagram. I began to follow her there and.knew that I wasn't alone in feeling like a pendulum as far as my kids were concerned- loving them in an instant and wishing to wash them off my hands in another.  So of course, I had to get to her book the instant Net Galley and publishers offered it here.

I had no doubts that it would be a book that I would love but I was not ready for some of the emotional rides it took me upon. Kristen has four kids ( I don't know if it matters that two of them are adopted black kids)= she does write about them and her experiences bringing them up but also shares some stories about struggles with infertility and miscarriage.

Written in a very intimate style- humroous and conversational, you feel as if you are listening to a friend is sharing with you her adventures of a day. On occasions, it feels surreal to know  that someone, miles away has gone through exactly the same stuff as you have and felt about it/ dealt with it in eerily the same way. It not only talks about parenting struggles but also about social justice. A portion. of the book is dedicated to her being a white woman raising two black kids and I think more and more people should read this book for just this bit, if not her approach to parenting or the funnies.

The book helps you give yourself a wider berth. It may teach you to be compassionate to one and all but first to yourself and as a parent you do definitely need to know it as the only trick that ever works wonders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different