Book Review: When I was You by Minka Kent

When I Was You by Minka Kent is a thriller which I found an easy read and highly recommend if you are scared of the gory stuff but still like to be surprised in the realms of suspense. It is a bit predictable though the bits which are unpredictable are pretty good. I read this one soon after finishing Luanne Rice's Last Day which was hardly as much a thriller as a story about secrets, sisters and sisterhood.

So getting back to When I Was You. Well the book is told via two perspectives Niall and Brienne. Brienne is a victim of a mugging and now lives scared and traumatised. She suffers from PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)- a mental health condition which is triggered by a traumatic event. Its symptoms include severe anxiety, flashbacks and nightmares among other things.

She lives in a huge house that once belonged to her grandparents but since her attack, rents out a portion to Niall who is an oncologist and a very caring, considerate man. But of course, things are hardly ever what they seem.

Brienne discovers that there is someone else who is pretending to be her and going about the town when a key to an apartment that she has supposedly rented lands at her home address. Thus begins her search for the identity thief. Is Brienee ever able to catch this woman, why does she never touch Brienne's money -the most plausible reason behind the theft, why Niall claims that in fact Brienne is a stalker and herself an identity thief and who is this woman that she is supposed to be originally but has no memories of being her ever at all.

Minka Kent writes engagingly though there are times when you wish the plot would move swiftly
especially at the very beginning. The other characters in the book do not have much to contribute in taking the plot forward but are interesting nonetheless especially the ones who belong to Niall and Brienne's past. All in all a likeable read that keeps you entertained.

Thank you NetGalley and the publishers at Thomas & Mercer for the e-book.

Comments

Sahil Sahni said…
Sounds a bit gloomy. I am a slow reader, thus I have to be careful while choosing my books. Can you suggest something fast and interesting.
amu said…
Hi Sahil,
I so hope you get around to reading this comment. I hate Google for the fact that it doesn't allow me to reply on comments on the blog thus leaves no scope for interaction.

Anyhoo, i hear you when you say that you have to be very careful about books you choose to read and trust me I am also just about learning to be more than careful about not getting caught with a book that is not my kind. So to recommend you something fast and interesting I can point you towards You Truth Or Mine and Whiskey Sour which were pacy reads with action taking place and fantastic, solid main characters. You can find their reviews on the blog if you will search for the titles.

Let me know if you pick any and read it. I will ever be so eager to hear back from you if you do.

Thank you for reaching out. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different