Book Review: Chopra Sisters by Rahul Vishnoi

The Chopra Sisters is Rahul Vishnoi's third presentation after Who Burned The Moon? and a collection of shorts called Love Littering the Lanes.
I have read the debut book and one of the 4 stories featured in the collection. Then I read this and I can summarise all that I have to write by saying that he is getting better at his craft.
But as a had-been editor, I won't be justifying my previous job title if I do not talk about the lacunae. The story outline first.
The main cast of the story that Vishnoi presents to us here is quite apparent from the title of the book. This is about two sisters who are actually more or less disasters. Always at each other's throat, the girls are just too much to handle for their father, especiallyafter the mother dies. (Reminds one of the trailers of Patakha, a film about two forever fighting sisters.) Anyway they go their separate ways once the elder one decides that she wants to marry the boy who was chosen by their father to marry the younger sibling, what happens since the marriage is what the novella is about.
There are shades of psychotic behaviour which manage to keep you hooked along with the author doing a good job of maintaining the suspense as to what happens between the sisters on the day the book actually starts on. There are roughly 5 characters and because maybe it is a novella the author hasn't gone into chiseling all of them. One has been his focus largely and he does a fair job of etching that character for us. 
I wanted the book to be both crisper as I would lose the thread when trying to decipher who was being fooled when; and I wanted it to be longer because I wanted to know these characters more. Maybe he could have sharpened them more by giving them a back story or shed light on their motives or even adding details about how they reach the decisions (which is what the book constitutes).
I must though add here that I am mighty impressed by the tight leash Vishnoi had on his characters and their doings. I think he just needs to write more and edit with a greater passion to reach the summit he aims for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different